Super Rachel Zana's Spot

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

88 Keys and a Sustaining Pedal

Because I am a piano teacher, people who call to inquire about taking lessons often have questions about an appropriate instrument for their children, or in some cases, for themselves. The most common question is whether it is acceptable to learn on a digital piano. While I do, in fact, dislike digital pianos for a multitude of reasons, it is OK for most people to start with an electric instrument. But I encourage them to look for something with all 88 keys that a regular piano has, in addition to some kind of sustaining pedal, as both of these features are used early in piano pedagogy. I consider these two features essential to successful piano education.

Some people disagree, including my husband, who believes that it's OK to start learning on any instrument, even if it is small when the student is not certain about continuing lessons or cannot afford a larger instrument or does not have enough space for one. This makes me feel guilty because I would like to think that piano is for the masses, but I am staunchily defending my position that there are certain qualities of a musical instrument that are necessary. 88 Keys and a sustaining pedal are required for my students. I have had far too many experiences with students who had no orientation of what octave they were playing on a normal piano, and were unable to pedal because they couldn't practice at home. Lessons were miserable. Would you ask a child to learn to read and only teach them half the alphabet?

Therefore, I see piano as a fantastic activity, and advocate exposure for all who are interested, but I also consider it a commitment of both time, and, unfortunately money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home