Super Rachel Zana's Spot

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Adoration for my bass clarinet

I should have picked bass clarinet for my primary instrument. There were several reasons why this did not happen, the mainly that bass clarinets are insanely expensive, and I was needed in my high school band to play soprano clarinet. But my heart was always longing to play the bass clarinet. And I know it would have suited me well. I now own a bass clarinet in rather rotten shape, and it just fits my personality. It's big like a cello, and although you don't hug a bass clarinet quite like you do a cello, you could develop a relationship with a bass clarinet. It's just there, big, ready to be loved. I especially adore playing the bass clarinet on chilly nights when I am pregnant. The sound is deep, sonorous, and rich, and matches how huge I am feeling. I like it so much that prior to falling asleep I have wild notions of spending $4,000 and getting a fantastic bass clarinet. Which, of course, the sensible side of my personality puts a kabosh to. And my husband asks me if maybe I shouldn't just play my flute or the regular clarinet so I don't have such crazy ideas late at night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home