Super Rachel Zana's Spot

Monday, August 23, 2004

Tumbling Class for Adults

Why don't they hold tumbling class for grown ups? I have always wanted to be a gymnast. When I was little we lived far, far away from gymnastics lessons, but I managed to teach myself to do a fantastic cartwheel, a fair roundoff, and I spend many hours doing no handed summersaults on the school mats at recess, flipping around the bars on the school playground. I longed to be part of the Acro Team you'd see on TV performing at the state basketball tournaments. I propped up a regular old jogging trampoline on cement blocks and catapulted myself upside down through the air doing dive rolls, landing on a mattress my grandmother discarded. I took a 4x4 plank of wood and propped it between two trees, about three feet in the air and attempted to do tumbling acts on the balance beam. I hung upside down from the top of my swingset, pretending it was a high bar. It's a miracle I didn't bash my head in.

Grown ups have aerobics, pilates, yoga, none of which sound remotely interesting to me, although I know they would be useful. I would love to take a tumbling class and really whip around upside down, and get to experience official gymnastic equipment. Obviously, I would not expect my body to be flexible like that of a ten year old, but I can still turn a good cartwheel, and I think if I weren't pregnant I would have a bit of gymnastic potential. I could work into being a bit flexible again, and tumbling develops excellent balance, coordination and muscle tone. It seems to me that more adults should be willing to try tumbling.

1 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Blogger Bridgette said...

Hello. I am a dragon too. Check my page out sometime.
luckydragon76@blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home