Super Rachel Zana's Spot

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Laundry

I abhore laundry. I'd rather do any housecleaning chore rather than laundry. Laundry irritates me, the way you have to fold, sort, put away, and then it all just gets immediately dirty again. A person really makes no progress doing laundry. Thank goodness I live in the age of washing machines, or I'd really be miserable. I procrastinate the laundry. If I weren't a mild mannered person, I'd curse the laundry. Even so, as it is, sometimes I loose my temper at the laundry.

Forget ironing. My theory is if you wear clothes for a few hours most wrinkles will just disappear. There are a few exceptions; some material just doesn't unwrinkle effectively. In our house these clothes are eventually seen as useless and usually end up recycled at the local thrift store.

The very worst part of doing laundry is folding and sorting clean laundry, and even more terrible, putting it back in drawers only to know that you will snatch it back out in the morning. How frustrating. I have notions of a perfect laundry system where there are a series of bins. Two bins are for dirty clothes. As you pick up all the laundry your family has hastily and obliviously strewn about the floors in every room in the house, you place dark clothes in one bin, light in the other. I realize many people do this already. Here is the important part of the plan. There is also a bin for each member of the family's clean clothes. Instead of folding and hauling clothes back to drawers, you just dump the clean clothes into each person's bin, and they search for the clothes they need. It would only take a few seconds more to search for clothes as needed, and look at all the time I'd save not having to fold clothes! Since wrinkles disappear within a few hours, what is the point of folding? Everyone can get up an hour earlier and get dressed in time for their clothes to unwrinkle before leaving the house. Early risers are more productive anyway.

And all those beautiful dresser drawers can be used to hold other items, like books or giant monkey puppets.

1 Comments:

At 6:52 AM, Blogger Sara said...

I agree with your assessment of laundry, however, I really just detest the folding aspect. They are usually hot and they make my hands feel like I need a gallon of lotion. We seem to have a large amount of laundry for two people. I also must iron everything. But I was taught a valueable lesson the other day. I ruined a new shirt when I ironed it. The tag said not to iron and I did. My compulsion caught up with me. It was okay, I went to the store and bought the exact shirt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home