Super Rachel Zana's Spot

Monday, August 30, 2004

Rommegrat

On our drive home from camping in Northern Wisconsin this weekend, my family and I stopped in Rice Lake to purchase gas. We noticed a billboard for the Norse Nooke, famous for its desserts. It doesn't take a lot of persuasion to sway me toward trying a new dessert, so we decided to stop. The Norse Nooke is well known for its pies. I had a slice of custard pie, which I greatly enjoyed. Custard pie is a plain tasting pie, luxurious to those of us who enjoy plain flavored food. Gregory had a slice of sour cream raspberry pie, which was completely scrumptious, and had tremendous zip to it. Sarah had a chocolate chip cookie, which tasted like a chocolate chip cookie. She was thrilled.

I was particularly impressed with the pie crust. It was light and flaky. My mother learned to make light and flaky pie crust from her stepgrandfather, and doesn't measure anything. It is the best pie crust in the world, and this pie crust tasted very similar. Maybe it's the Scandanavian way to make pie crust. My mother's stepgrandfather was Norweigan, I think. Maybe not. Regardless, this pie crust tasted like my mothers, not like my husband's Irish pie crust, which is thick and very different. I think admiration for pie crust is all in how you grow up.

I am rambling. The point of this post is not pie. It's rommegrat. I hadn't ever tried rommegrat, and had always wanted to. At the bakery counter of the Norse Nooke, they had small containers of rommegrat available for purchase. I suggested we get some to be adventurous. It was amazing. Rommegrat is a cream pudding that is probably one of the most terrible, unhealthy things you could possibly eat, but it is absolutely scrumptious. It's sweat, creamy, and thick, and flavored with a bit of cinammon and sugar. It's so rich you can only justify one or two spoonfuls at a time, and then you come back to the fridge for more about an hour later. Needless to say, my rommegrat is now gone. But I am a full, satifisfied cultured individual with a great appreciation for Norweigan desserts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home